Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Top 5 Healthier Alternatives

“This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #TENways  http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV

Spring is here. Summer is right around the corner. And all of us are trying to figure out how to drop the extra weight that we gained over the course of the longest winter ever. It also seems like a common theme this time of year---bikini season preparation as some people like to call it. 

Everyone is looking toward dieting. Everyone is trying out all the different work out regimens out there. And changes are being made all around.

People often ask me what diet I am on and what things I like to do for exercise and it's hard for me to answer them exactly. I don't do anything strict. I don't like to restrict myself from things that I normally love, but I am always looking for changes to be made and to be made in a positive way. Changes that do not just last for a month or two, but are those that we can stick to permanently. For the most part. I say for the most part because there is just no way for us to be perfect in our diets all the time. There are factors to consider. For instance, when we are invited to be dinner guests at another person's home. Will I tell my friends that I will not eat their meatballs because she made them out of beef instead of what we normally do, turkey? The answer is no. The same goes for our decision to eat mainly organic, limit our sweets, and have a diet high in fruits and vegetables.

There are always splurges, and for us that is okay. 

At home, I have cravings as well and I like to make the healthier choice when it comes to those cravings.

Here is a list of my 5 favorite options to making healthier changes:


1. TEN Beverages. When I am craving a soda, I like to go for the one that gives me the full taste without the full calories. I don't want to miss out on the delicious taste, and at the same time, I don't want to drink all my calories away with a regular pop. This is where the TEN beverages come in, and my favorite of the four being 7up. I purchased mine at Walmart, and they currently have a great deal going on that ends 4/17. 

Get this coupon for 0.50 off of two 2 liter bottles or 2 four pack cans of 7UP TEN, A&W TEN, Canada Dry TEN, RC TEN or Sunkist TEN soda. Even better, share it with your friends and that coupon becomes $1.50 off! Offer available while supplies last.

2. Fruit Ice Cream. When I am craving ice cream, especially during the hot summer days, I am craving something cold and sweet. The thing that I have found that helps satisfy that craving is by making my own ice cream out of fruit. It's as simple as blending any fruit you prefer {one flavor or a mix of flavors}, putting them in popsicle mold and placing them in the freezer. My kids love it and cannot tell the difference!

3.  Granola+Yogurt+Fruit. At night is when I have found to have the biggest sweet tooth. I want something sweet and crunchy, and my favorite go-to snack has turned into something my entire family asks for. Daily. I make my own granola, I had a little bit of vanilla yogurt, and then I top it with whatever fruit I have available in the fridge. I even throw in a couple chocolate chips just to satisfy that chocolate craving. 

4. Salads for lunch. I have found that by substituting a meal with a salad {lunch or dinner}, that I have more energy and I just feel better overall. Now, to be honest with you, I used to be that person that always hated salads. I never understood why anyone just wanted to eat leaves for a meal, and most of all, it never filled me up! I figured it out---I was doing it all wrong. I was not putting the right ingredients on. Now, I fill my salad with slices of ham, almonds and walnuts, tomatoes and peppers, and clementines and strawberries. It is the perfect mix of food and I never complain of being hungry after eating a single bowl. 
 

5. Turkey instead of beef. We made the switch about 5 years ago and we have never looked back. I truthfully cannot tell the difference, and I actually prefer the turkey taste over the beef. We use turkey for our meatballs, our tacos, our chili, burgers, and so forth. There is no special trick to it, you simply just eliminate the beef and use ground turkey instead. And it is so much healthier for you!

--

There you have it, my simple 5 healthier alternatives that I think are easy, do-able, and most importantly, delicious.

All this food talk not only made me hungry, but thirsty as well. I'm going to go pour myself a glass of 7UP TEN, and make myself a yogurt granola fruit parfait with a side of ice cream as well.

Now just get me a beach and an umbrella and I'm set. 

Want more information on the different TEN beverages? Visit the links below:

No comments:

Post a Comment